The IRS announced in November increases to retirement plan limits for 2022. The 2022 contribution limit for 401(k) plans will increase to $20,500, which means that next year you can put an extra $1,000 into your 401(k) plan. The IRS also announced cost‑of‑living adjustments that may affect pension plan and other retirement-related savings in the coming year.
Highlights of changes for 2022
The contribution limit for employees who participate in 401(k), 403(b), most 457 plans, and the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan is increased to $20,500 in 2022. Limits on contributions to traditional and Roth IRAs remains unchanged at $6,000.
You can also deduct contributions to a traditional IRA if they meet certain conditions. If neither you nor your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work, your full contribution to a traditional IRA is deductible. If you or your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work, the deduction may be reduced or eliminated. The amount of the deduction depends on your filing status and your income.
Traditional IRA income phase-out ranges for 2022
- $68,000 to $78,000 – Single taxpayers covered by a workplace retirement plan
- $109,000 to $129,000 – Married couples filing jointly. This applies when the spouse making the IRA contribution is covered by a workplace retirement plan.
- $204,000 to $214,000 – A taxpayer not covered by a workplace retirement plan married to someone who’s covered.
- $0 to $10,000 – Married filing a separate return. This applies to taxpayers covered by a workplace retirement plan
Roth IRA contributions income phase-out ranges for 2022
- $129,000 to $144,000 – Single taxpayers and heads of household
- $204,000 to $214,000- Married, filing jointly
- $0 to $10,000 – Married, filing separately
Saver’s Credit income phase-out ranges for 2022
- $41,000 to $68,000 – Married, filing jointly.
- $30,750 to $51,000 – Head of household.
- $20,500 to $34,000 – Singles and married individuals filing separately.
The amount individuals can contribute to SIMPLE retirement accounts also increases to $14,000 in 2022.